Edgar J. Kaufmann, Sr. was a patron of Frank Lloyd Wright from 1934 until Kaufmann's death in 1955. In addition to building Fallingwater and an office interior, Kaufmann repeatedly sought to find a place for Wright's talents in Pittsburgh. The most spectacular of his commissions were two schemes prepared in 1947 and 1948 for transforming the Pittsburgh Point at the junction of the Ohio, Allegheny, and Monongahela Rivers into a populist civic center. The schemes reflect Kaufmann's dream of a beautiful, modern city and Wright's vision for the "automobile objectives" that were to be the social hubs of his utopia, Broadacre City.
- Copyright 1993 The Society of Architectural Historians