The chapel dedicated to Beata Lucia in the cathedral of Narni has been attributed to Nicola Michetti on the basis of both style and the fact that he had worked elsewhere for the patron, Cardinal Giuseppe Sacripante. The configuration of the altar surround, however, is not typical of Michetti's work. That structure, in fact, is by Carlo Rainaldi and originally stood in the chapel of S. Antonio di Padova in SS. Apostoli in Rome. Sacripante purchased the altar surround in October 1711 and had it set up in Narni sometime between 1712 and 1714. Michetti's contribution to the design of the chapel, therefore, is limited to the revetment of the walls, the windows, and the transverse oval dome. Rainaldi's altar surround is an important find. Conceived in 1652 and constructed between 1654 and c. 1656, it is the immediate forerunner of his urbanistic masterpieces of the early 1660s, S. Maria di Montesanto and S. Maria dei Miracoli, on piazza del Popolo.
- Copyright 1991 The Society of Architectural Historians