Intrinsic evidence proves that the Palazzo dei Camerlenghi in Venice was built in two major campaigns. Coats of arms interpreted with the aid of documents confirm that the first campaign took place in 1488. Although the architect cannot be identified, the structure of 1488 now takes its rightful place in the chronological sequence of early Venetian Renaissance buildings and represents the second known Venetian experiment in the use of superposed pilasters (following by only a few years S. Maria dei Miracoli). An inscription on the later section includes the date 1525, the terminal date of the second campaign. Stylistic analysis and historical considerations make plausible the attribution of this later part to Scarpagnino.
- Copyright 1983 The Society of Architectural Historians